At present guests are unable to join us at Bampfield during this special time of the year. So we are sending our activities to you as all the baby calves are being born. Farmer Neil and Josh have had 80 new mums and calves to care for. So far we have 30 dairy heifers, these will be reared and join the herd in 2 years time. The beef calves Aberdeen Angus’s and British Blue calves are being sold to a neighbour.
Each calf has valuable colostrum to give it all the goodness and immunity for the best start in life.
As soon as the weather improves the cows will make their way to the field and graze the lush grass. Our milk is rich and creamy, ideal for making cheese. More about farmer Neil’s cheese next month.
Bampfield Sultana Cake, a firm family favourite. Delicious with a cup of tea before heading off to do the milking.
This cake is moist and keeps well.
100g/4oz butter cut in small squares
175g/6oz sugar use less if you prefer.
2 small beaten eggs
A little almond essence
175g/ 6oz self-raising flour
50g/2oz chopped nuts ( optional)
- Cover sultanas with water and soak overnight, next day bring to the boil.
- Strain sultanas and mix in butter while still hot.
- Add eggs, sugar and almond essence.
- Sift in flour.
- Add nuts and mix well ( optional)
- Grease tin 20cm line with baking paper.
- Tip in cake mixture.
- Bake in moderate oven 180 for 30 mins. Lower heat to 150 and cook until firm in the centre.