Bampfield Farm is a fantastic base for a walking holiday in North Devon.
One of the best ways to explore the countryside and enjoy the spectacular scenery is on foot.
North Devon is home to some of the finest footpaths and trails in the country, including the South West Coast Path, the Tarka Trail, walks on Exmoor, the Biosphere Reserve at Braunton and countless National Trust walks.
Set in beautiful, rolling countryside, Bampfield Farm also has a variety of walks direct from the doorstep. We can advise you on some of our favourites.
Because you will be spoilt for choice, we have a large selection of maps and walking guides available for our guests.
Here are some of our favourite walks in the area:
- Baggy Point – this is a 3 mile walk around the west of Baggy Point, a headland that is located just beyond the village of Croyde. There are spectacular views of the coastline and you may be able to spot seals in the sea. You can also enjoy lunch or a cream tea in the National Trust’s Sandleigh tearoom, which is located near the car park.
- Bull Point and Morte Point – this stretch of coast offers dramatic scenery along an area which was once famous for smugglers and wreckers. The 4.5 mile walk takes you along a path to the Bull Point Lighthouse, past the rugged cove of Rockham Beach and around the rocky headland of Morte Point. The pretty stone village of Mortehoe has plenty of places for refreshments and is also worth a visit.
- Heddon’s Mouth – located on Exmoor, this is a gentle walk through lush woodland. The path follows the River Heddon until it meets the sea – a restored 19th Century lime kiln is an interesting feature.
- Watersmeet – this is a walk through ancient woodlands, with spectacular views and trails alongside the river. Located at its heart is a former fishing lodge, which is now a National Trust tea room, shop and information centre.
To find out more about walks in North Devon, here are some useful websites:
- Tarka Trail – www.devon.gov.uk/tarka-trail-circular-routes
- South West Coast Path – www.southwestcoastpath.com/day-walks
- Westcountry Walks – www.westcountrywalks.co.uk
- Exploremoor Provides information and ideas to explore Exmoor National Park without the car – www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/enjoying/travel
- North Devon’s Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty & Biosphere Reserve – www.northdevonbiosphere.org.uk
- Explore the Coast – www.explorethecoast.org