Switch off your phone and immerse yourself in your surroundings – relax, you’ve arrived in North Devon!
There are plenty of places to unwind in North Devon.
Our top recommendation is to spend a day on our farm at Bampfield, soaking up the peace and quiet. It’s a tranquil spot, surrounded by beautiful countryside. You can enjoy a short stroll, meet the animals or curl up with a book by the wood burner.
Best relaxing days in North Devon
Here are some of our other favourite relaxing activities:
- Visit one of the beautiful gardens in the area – RHS Rosemoor, Marwood Hill Gardens and Castle Hill are all within a half hour drive from Bampfield Farm Cottages.
- For a spot of culture, Broomhill Sculpture Gardens and Art Hotel offers something a bit different, featuring an art trail around the wooded gardens.
- Ilfracombe is a seaside town with a working harbour. You can catch a boat from here to Lundy, view Damien Hirst’s Verity sculpture, visit the aquarium or take a look in the rockpools on Tunnels beach.
- Bideford is a lovely place to while away an afternoon. Often described as ‘The Little White Town’ there are intriguing shops to explore and a harbour to visit.
- Appledore is a pretty quayside village with a small selection of art galleries, shops and places to eat.
- Barnstaple is our largest local town with plenty to explore. As an ancient borough, it has a rich history – so visit the Museum of Barnstaple, then take a walk around town to visit the historic Pannier Market and the unique Butcher’s Row.
- You could also visit Exmoor National Park – one of our favourite destinations is Tarr Steps. This is a historic clapper bridge, the longest of its kind in the UK. While you are here you can enjoy a cream tea or a meal, and paddle along the river.